The General Membership Meeting (GMM) will be held 5:30p Friday, September 28th at the Susan Campbell Senior Center.
This meeting is very important for several reasons…
1. RATIFICATION: We need to ratify our contract.
The bargaining team finished negotiating with the university on September 6th, and the general membership needs to approve the changes that will be applied to the collective bargaining agreement.
The president and the bargaining team will explain these changes during the meeting. We will then decide the procedure for how to vote to ratify and possibly commencing the vote to ratify at the GMM.
If you want to inform yourself ahead of time, please check out the bargaining update at our website: http://gtff.net/bargaining-results
2. ELECTION YEAR: We will discuss Politics 2012, and AFT-OR president, David Reeves, will join us to talk about important issues concerning the upcoming election.
3. NEW STAFF: We will introduce Amber Cooper, our new staff organizer. She’s rad.
4. CHILD CARE: For the first time, the GMM will be a family friendly event. There are two options:
The first option is to bring your child with you to the GMM as there will be a space provided for children to play and sit with the supervision of their parents during the meeting (we will not be able to hire a certified child care service). Please RSVP to VP of Operations, Jacob Barto (firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can provide age-appropriate activities, etc.
The second option is the ‘child care stipend.’ If you would feel more comfortable hiring your own child care provider during the time of the meeting, please also contact Jacob Barto to discuss the availability of partial reimbursement from the GTFF.
5. SOCIALIZING: As usual, we will have pizza and beer during the meeting. But wait, there’s more! We’ll be having a post-GMM social hour (or two) right at the Senior Center until 9p. This would be a great time to get to know your officers, stewards, and fellow members!
Please keep in mind that the general membership is the highest decision making body in our union. This is your opportunity to learn about our union matters and to be an active part of the decision making process.
We are very much looking forward to seeing you all at the GMM this Friday!