

July, 1<sup>st</sup> 2015

Agenda:

1. Agenda
2. Minutes
3. Officer
4. Staff
5. New office
6. Admin Q&A
7. Retreats
8. SEIU Rally
9. Fall/summer events
10. Bargaining

Present: Shawna, Annie, Meghan, Jessica, Glenn, Amber, Patrick, Kadie

**1. Agenda: Shawna motions, Jessica Seconds, Passes.**

Shawna: We welcome Meghan to the board. We run meetings by Robert's rules but only when we need to make a motion or control the room. Lets start with officer reports

**2. Organizing - Annie**

Missed last e-council meeting. I've been contacting potential new stewards. John will be added to philosophy. Herbie got voted in at last e-council and is added to the list. Teri is added but not voted in. Should I add them to subscription list before they are officially voted in

Amber: We can add them to listserv but they aren't technically a steward before the retreat. Cannot vote on anything before that point

Annie: I sent a long e-mail to stewards about increasing membership, getting trained for canvassing, and organizing department meetings. I met with Shawna about getting membership up to 80% - Right now at 72%. I made a Google document to see which departments need recruitment. Trying to get more accurate information about steward needs in departments. The document is titled "2014/2015 Steward recruitment."

Amber: If no one in the department votes for the steward they will not be voted in

Annie: We need to work with stewards on their department orientations and encourage stewards to schedule something.

Annie: I entered all the information from the Purple Sheets into a google document. I'm going to try make it easier for officer to find people to help.

### **3. Equity - Meghan**

Worked with equity committee. One of the things people were disappointed with were Robert's Rules. We need to make those rules more accessible or coming up with another way to get a consensus. I would like to create a video of us doing Robert's Rules to give an example of how it works. I would also like to make signs we can use while in discussion at meetings. I don't know what members want to be more inclusive so I'm going to work with Camila on a survey.

Amber: All union meetings are required to be run by Robert's Rules because the bylaw change didn't pass. We can kick back RR at some points in meetings but all business must be done with RR. We can use other methods during reports, for instance

### **4. Operations - Jessica**

Has mostly been working with the office committee.

Also working with the elections committee to get more people involved.

Yay, new couch. Is going to get another new couch rather than a cover for the orange one. I think I can find something relatively inexpensive. We need to think about this while moving into new space.

The BBQ went well.

Went to the Lane county labor council baseball game and it was good.

### **5. Communications - Patrick**

Has been trying to keep up on updating the website.

If you find inaccurate information, copy link and send it to Patrick.

Sending a member e-mail tomorrow.

Talked with Teri about organizing a new PR committee to have a more formal and institutionalized way of communicating with media bodies. Teri said she will be the chair of that.

PR Committee: communicating with media, social media communications, creating templates for others to do so, organizing training programs, we want to have actual

positions although it would be fairly small including the chair, Patrick and four other people, it would be permanent, biweekly meetings.

Can create Ad Hoc now but can make bylaws change to make it permanent or Ad Hoc indefinitely

Patrick: I move to set up a PR committee

Annie: Seconds

Passes

Add the description of the committee to the website

The media internship is currently unpaid but Teri suggests offering a stipend

Jessica: I think we decided to have it unpaid to start with

Patrick: JCOMM encourages undergrads to NOT accept unpaid internships

Shawna: It would be nice to have someone from JCOMM, we can get an intern from somewhere else. It's valuable experience and none of us have stipends. I did a lot of internships in undergrad and none were paid.

Amber: Usually with internships you get paid or academic credit, not both. I don't know how JCOMM does that with other internships.

Annie: we could create something more standardized in future years like a certificates.

Meghan: Environmental studies require unpaid internships.

Jessica: It's really hard to find paid internships in this economic environment.

Political Ed

## **6. Political Education - Kadie**

Made this sick leave summary document.

Some of the main concerns going forward into bargaining include accrual of sick time, separation of employment, sharing sick time with other GTFFs, notification procedure, compensation for covering shifts

Following up on International Student Brochure to get it ready before orientation

## **7. President - Shawna**

Still need to meet with a few people. Would like people to continue to meet with me.

Had a meeting with Peter Ferris, our PR guy. He wants to set up a joint labor management committee with us and admins. Would have monthly meetings to discuss issues between us and admin. It will also have two members of the grad school. There's something in our bylaws that says I can appoint people to committees. We get four members for this committee. I would like to appoint Amber, president, grievance, and possibly equity and inclusion, if everyone is OK with that.

Amber: I could also see Annie (organizing) fitting in this position.

Shawna: Board retreat won't happen this summer. Two weeks that most people could do it doesn't work for Meghan. We will most likely do it in October. Housing options will also be cheap and more available.

Meghan: cannot do 14-18<sup>th</sup>.

Shawna: first weekend of October is the GMM (October 2<sup>nd</sup>) the next weekend, 9-11, would be possible retreat weekend.

Jessica: motions to approve minutes

Meghan: seconds

Motion Passes

## **8. Staff Reports**

Glenn: members need to be aware that if they didn't pay for coverage or sign up, their plan is terminated. Can take late payments

Amber: I've been doing a lot of finance stuff. Bills are paid. Denielle and I have been working on new system to track what is left in each budget line. Denielle has been looking back at books between trust and union. Per-Caps – found a check meant to go to AFT-Oregon but could have been written out to AFT-National. One member got a late paycheck, told him to apply for Jesse M. Grant Loan. The person is frustrated because first paycheck of summer has always been late. This case it was a late appointment that could have been processed late or signed late. Lots of people are asking about summer fees. They're surprised to pay \$400 when usually it's \$60. Many people want to bargain over this now, we should keep that up into the fall.

Jessica: some departments pay for these fees for some people.

Amber: Our CBA says that fees and reimbursement shall be the same in summer. UO has established a past practice of getting away with this which has lasted over 5 years. We should bargain for better language against this.

Getting our database up and running again. Need to work with Camila and Annie. Switching old computer stuff to new computer.

SEIU hired new staff person. You'll all meet her. She used to work with UA (Murico?). Maybe she will provide more collaboration between locals. I'm looking forward to meeting with her.

Jana Riegis (sp?) working on campaign for mayor in Eugene. Labor and Progressives are working on finding someone to support. Jana reached out to staff to talk about this

I also have a lot of cleaning and filing to do. Need to get e-mails and keys for new board members. We are going to archive e-mails of old staff so we can shut them down.

## **9. New Office Stuff**

Jessica: We may be able to afford this office by ourselves. It's slightly more expensive than our budget allows. If Rodolfo comes with us AFT will pay for his portion of rent.

Shawna: They want individual offices for all of their staff members. They don't think space is big enough. I think it is but I think we should go by ourselves if we have to. Great space, close to campus

Jessica: Space difference is only about 100 square feet when we take into account unused space.

Amber: If we don't share with UA, we could hold E-council meetings there. It would be nice and casual, easier for snacks and drinks. We could also have space for a little conversation space with couches and coffee table.

Shawna: I love the idea of Glenn having his own, private office. Also, there's more privacy for grievance meeting.

Amber: I scraped all the mold. It's coming back. Landlord won't fix leak.

Shawna: E-council voted to allow us to look for new space

Jessica: we would need a vote to increase the budget. We would need to find out exactly what the budget and costs would be. Changes to the new office could be covered.

Shawna: need to talk to Rodolfo

Amber: and David Reaves. Originally approached GTFF to have Rodolfo

Amber: Street presence, can have tables and open windows.

Shawna: Logistically, I will find out about Rodolfo.

Jessica: I'll talk to Milton for an exact estimate for changes.

Shawna: HUB is in there until at least August 1<sup>st</sup>. We have time to get ready for big move.

Amber: We don't want to lock in until they agree to all of the changes we need.

Jessica: we want all of the changes, walls, bathroom, to be covered by them. I'll sit down with a few people from UA to get a solid answer from them.

Amber: If we do decide to move, we need to create a timeline for packing, services.

Shawna: I would like a motion to move forward

Annie: Moves

Meghan: Second

No further discussion. Passes

Shawna: E-council can increase budget by 35%

Jessica: We probably wouldn't need to increase it that much

## **10. Admin Q&A**

Shawna: Going to insist on having a GTFF presence on all budget committees. We might want to bargain.

Annie: Felt like there was a lot of dodging of responsibilities. I didn't feel like I didn't fully understand the process still.

Amber: There are probably certain people that make decisions that may differ from who technically make that decision. I'm glad we have information to give to our members. We should now work on spreading this information going further into bargaining.

Shawna: I think we should send general membership e-mail. They crafted responses that were made to be public.

Patrick: Posted it on website.

Annie: should we strategize bargaining points originating from this?

Shawna: I think this will get people to start thinking about stuff.

### **11. Retreats**

Shawna: E-council retreat needs planning.

Amber: we need to book the retreat house. One is bigger, the other is nicer.

Shawna: The bigger house is more isolated, has two kitchens. We are aiming to have as many people as possible.

Annie: I booked my tickets for field research and I won't be back until September 24<sup>th</sup>. Shawna also won't be able to make it.

Amber: We've always had it the week before orientations.

Annie: we should plug it to stewards so they can start scheduling it.

Amber: I can send out the RSVP form and Annie can make sure people are filling it out, keeping track of who has filled it out.

Jessica and Eleanor can help out more with organizing since Shawna and Annie won't be there.

Shawna: we always have guest speaker to speak in the evening of the retreat. I would like to suggest an AFL-CIO – Oregon guy who gave a powerpoint presentation on the Right-to-Work Supreme court case. I will try to see if he can come.

### **12. SEIU Rally**

Shawna: July 9<sup>th</sup> is the SEIU rally. I will speak at it. Encourage people to come. Wear GTFF shirts, come pick up signs beforehand.

### **13. Fall Summer Events**

Shawna: Northwest Leadership Forum. In Vancouver, WA. July 30<sup>th</sup>-August 2<sup>nd</sup>. We can send someone to it. It's good to talk to other higher education locals in Oregon. Could include it in an e-mail to e-council.

Amber: typically the e-board decides who goes to conferences. Shawna and Kadie are the only ones who volunteered to go to the CGEU in Amherst, Patrick is also interested. Registration for CGEU was yesterday. We can still register. Flights, hotels, are expensive. We can look into costs before we decide how many people to send.

Shawna: There's also a AFL-CIO summer school at UO this summer.

Amber: This one is specific for people who would like to become union organizers. We could advertise it to members for them to pay for themselves.

Shawna: I think we can send it out as a professional development opportunity.

Annie: I'll send out the NW Forum to stewards.

Shawna: September 23<sup>rd</sup>, we're invited to speak at the New Faculty and Officers Administration.

Jessica: Can do it.

#### **14. Impact Bargaining**

Amber: We sent our demand to bargain, under the law they should agree to meet. They don't think there is anything to discuss and this can wait until the next round of bargaining. We need to be able to set up a policy before the law goes into effect. There's some benefit of this being it's own separate bargaining topic. I e-mailed Haley and we should be able to get legal help for ULP with Rodolfo. CGE believes they will also get impact bargaining. We need to create an impact bargaining team. Mike and Jonathan are interested. Shawna would like Jonathan to be present while she's gone. We sent out the survey. We could remind people to fill that out. The bargaining committee can look at results of survey and write some proposals. Start thinking about this as a GTFF. I noticed that while they don't want to bargain with us, they have been contacting Shawna to get a labor management meeting, which they would like to use to discuss this.

Shawna: We don't want labor management meetings to become a replacement for bargaining. Our first meeting is in August and we will lay out the ground rules here.

Jessica: motion to adjourn

Patrick: Second

Passes



